Ranchland Conservation Benefits
The preservation of intact landscapes that results from conservation easements provide significant benefits:
- families know their land is available for agricultural production in perpetuity
- land is reduced in value for estate tax purposes
- water rights as historically used are attached to the land
- wildlife habitat is protected from fragmentation and degradations
- local residents and visitors are assured that beautiful open space will not be developed
Conservation easements provide opportunities for families to continue into the next generation. Improvement in the viability of agricultural operations adds to Gunnison County's economic base and contributes to the open, scenic beauty that the local community and visitors value.